What Are Mini-Split Heating Systems?
Mini Split units are great for small server rooms, garages, gaming rooms, home theater rooms, small and large offices, and new additions added to your house.
The Friedrich Mini-Split heating systems with a heat pump, are for those homes already possessing non-ducted heating systems. Mini-split heating systems are a great option to add onto existing heating elements. Ductless heating systems require typically hydronic power (such as hot water heaters) and utilize space heating methods that generate heat through kerosene or propane. Mini-splits are ideal when you’re planning on making home additions because expanding existing duct work can be problematic in certain situations.
A Mini-split heating system is comprised of two main components which include:
- A compressor or condenser that is situated outside of the home.
- An air-handling unit that is located indoors.
These separate components are linked through a conduit which consists of a power cable, condensate drain, refrigerant, and suction tubing. If there are numerous air-handling units, each will contain an associated thermostat which is helpful for regulating the air temperature in each room.
Is a Ductless Heating System Right for Your Home?
When it comes to heating one’s home, increased efficiency is highly sought after. For this reason, many are electing to install ductless heating systems, also known as mini-splits. Heating systems that utilize duct work are found in a majority of homes and businesses and can consistently lose energy due to the way heat is dispersed throughout a home. Conversely, mini-splits can greatly reduce the heat and energy loss common among ducted systems. Additionally, mini-splits with heat pumps offer easy installation and other great features. Ductless mini-splits with heat pumps may prove ideal with add on features, there are a few disadvantages to such systems. This can include a higher initial cost, which can be a hindrance to those on tighter budgets. The following information can help homeowners determine whether a mini-split system would be right for them.
Advantages of Mini-Split Heat Pumps
From improved energy efficiency to less involved installation, mini-split ductless heating systems provide a number of advantages to homeowners:
Better Heating of Individual Rooms/Zones:
When it comes to adequately heating individual rooms or zones within a home, mini-splits with heat pumps are highly effective. This efficiency has to do with the individual air-handling units that are placed within a given room or area in the home. These units can be adjusted to heat only those rooms which are currently being occupied, unlike conventional heating methods, which provide heat uniformly throughout a home. In most cases, better insulation of a home will have an impact on the overall efficiency of the individual air-handling unit. This can help homeowners save on energy costs throughout the year.
Flexibility/Increased Placement Options:
Maintaining existing interior design is far easier when utilizing mini-splits. This is because the air-handling components provide a number of placement options, which is not always the case when installing other types of add-on systems. Air-handlers can be fixed to a wall, suspended from the ceiling, and even mounted into drop ceilings. There are also various options for floor models, which can be beneficial for certain circumstances such as improved energy efficiency and the ability to customize.
Inefficient use of energy is not only detrimental to the environment, but it can also greatly increase utility bills. Ducts are notorious for losing energy due to their construction, with up to 30 percent of generated heat dissipating while making its way through duct work. Because mini-splits don’t require ducts to disperse heat throughout a home, they aren’t subject to the same energy losses. Another great feature of mini-splits is the ability to customize. Most systems come with features like timers and built-in sleep functions, giving homeowners greater control of when and how they heat their homes. Traditional heating systems usually don’t allow for customized use, which can lead to unnecessary charges, as well as a less efficient use of energy.
Why Choose Air Nation?
- Experience – Your heating and air conditioning system is a complex system. Properly installing and maintaining these systems is not easy. At Air Nation, heating and air conditioning is our only business – that means we can focus on providing our customers with the most up-to-date HVAC technology and products available.
- Stability – As a family-owned company, we’ll be here tomorrow to stand by what we service and sell today.
- Reputation – Air Nation Heating and Air Conditioning has built a reputation of putting the needs of our customers first every single time, delivering a greater standard of excellence. Our priority is to enhance your family’s comfort, health and safety through high-quality heating and cooling products, superior technicians and innovative technology.
- Respect for your home – When an Air Nation technician enters your home, you can be 100% confident that they’ll leave your home in the same condition it was in before they arrive. To protect your floors and carpets and avoid tracking in dirt, all technicians are trained to respect your home. Rest assured, we go the extra mile to ensure that the job is done cleanly and that your property is undamaged.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee – When an Air Nation Heating & Air Conditioning service technician comes to your home, he is trained to fix the problem right the first time. If you’re not happy with the quality of our work, we’ll do whatever it takes to make it right.
- Up-Front Pricing – There are never any hidden charges or last-minute add-on fees. We charge by the job, not by the hour. And Air Nation, technicians will always tell you the price before they begin work and give you options so you can make a wise decision for you and your family.